Monday, February 22, 2010

Salamanders Forgefather Vulkan He'Stan

I recently finished a commission for Vulkan He'stan, Forgefather of the Salamanders. I've been rather fond of him altogether- both since he's an excellently detailed and characterful mini (especially as a marine wearing a helmet) and he's exquisitely detailed and ornate as any chapter master ought to be.

Well, a mini like this fits much better on a 40mm base, so I sculpted one for him (from green and gray stuff). Otherwise, I left the mini as is.

One interesting thing I found working with him is that he clearly calls for two sets of object source lighting- one from the flaming iron halo he's got on his back, and another from the flowing lava on his base. Since he'll be matching a whole force of Salamanders, I resisted the urge to make the OSL parts the only things lighting this mini- he is lit as if it were daytime with some accents from the two sources of light.

Overall, I think he went rather well.






No comments:

Post a Comment